The curious history surrounding Veterans Day on November 11th is interesting and quite unique. In 1918 on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, all major hostilities of World War I were formally ended. Veterans Day was initially referred to as Armistice Day and was created to celebrate the service of all U.S. military veterans. A respectable and loving way to honor a Veteran on this special day, is to send a flower arrangement or plant from Pugh’s Flowers.
In 1919, President Woodrow Wilson gave a memorable speech where he highly commended the men and women of the United States military. “To us in America the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service, and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of nations”.
Both Armistice Day and Remembrance Day are celebrated in other countries as a remembrance to the end of World War I. In 1954, Veterans Day became the official name in the US to honor our military men and women. Veterans Day differs from Memorial Day. While both days honor our military, Memorial Day is designated to honor those who died while fighting for our country. Veterans Day is designated to honor all of the military folks who have served our country.
You will find creative, loving and fresh floral products at Pugh’s Flowers. Here is a short list of ideas for other kind acts to honor a Veteran.
- Hire a veteran – If you own a small business or are in a hiring position at a company, perhaps hire a veteran who is anxious to get out into the working world.
- Donate frequent-flyer miles – For any of us that travel a lot for work or pleasure, perhaps you have accumulated some extra travel miles that you may not use. One organization that would love the free flyer miles is the Fisher House Foundation Hero Miles Program. They are dedicated to assisting family members with travel expenses so that they can be close to their loved one who may be ill or injured.
- Hire a veteran’s caregiver – Offering support to veteran’s families is so valuable. Plus, many of these folks are incredible employees.
- Volunteer your skills – If you have knowledge of a trade or financial planning etc., veterans can benefit from your volunteer teaching.
- Donate Money – There are several organizations that support veterans and they can always use private donations.
- Veteran Speaker – Many veterans have wonderful and inspirational stories of overcoming adversity and never giving up. Find one that enjoys speaking to other veterans.
- Do business with a veteran-owned company – Astonishingly there are an estimated 27 million veteran owned small businesses in the U.S. These companies are run by the fine men and women that defended our country. You will find some of the most trustworthy services and quality products.
Shimmer of Thanks – Make your appreciation shine! This stylish gift of yellow blooms, hand-delivered in a shimmering metallic cube with unique cutout designs, will make their heart glow. Later, they can remove the teal liner and “thanks” pick and use the cube as a chic candleholder! Colors may vary according to availability.
Cookie Crush – Cookie crush is our colorful, new bouquet and you just might get a crush on it too when you see its colorful charms that comes with 6 delicious macaron cookies. Bright and mixed, this bouquet is great for so many occasions! Stems may vary but will be bright and cheerful and surely convey your thoughts in a big way. It is only available in our local delivery areas. Macarons are in a 5 pack of different flavors, yum!
Shimmer of Thanks
Florist In Collierville Tennessee
Voted Best Florist In 2018
The Pugh’s Flowers provides same day and express flower delivery service to Collierville, Tennessee. Our family has been serving Collierville customers for more than 40 years. Our delivery vans make daily delivery runs in Collierville and throughout Shelby and DeSoto Counties. In 1976, Bill Pugh and a partner created Pugh’s Flowers. We are now a second generation, floral design firm. Currently all day-to-day flower shop operations are the responsibility of brothers Michael and Tim Pugh. There is a third Pugh Brother named Mark. He runs the family’s thriving landscape business.
Pugh’s has been very fortunate in building a world class employee team. We have the finest floral designers in the area. Our operations staff and sales staff are customer focused and second to none. Our delivery organization is the best in Memphis. We create traditional, contemporary and very modern metropolitan floral designs. Each flower arrangement comes with our 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. We create everything from a traditional dozen red roses, to some of the most stunning fresh flower arrangements you have ever seen. We carry all of the areas favorite flower varieties.
We have a great selection of Oriental, Stargazer and Asiatic Lilies. We have the best Ecuadorian roses in town. Our gerbera daisies, tulips, carnations and full bloom hydrangea are absolutely gorgeous. Looking for something exotic. We carry beautiful fresh Protea and the prettiest Cymbidium and Dendrobium Orchids in Collierville. Our firm designs for all occasions, including weddings and corporate events. We are large enough to handle weddings and events of any size.
Pugh’s offers a great selection of occasion themed flower arrangements. We carry arrangements and gifts for virtually every special occasion & event you can think of. Many of the fresh flowers we sell come farm-direct to us. That ensures that we can offer the finest, freshest, highest quality flowers in Collierville. We carry gorgeous Ecuadorian long stem roses, stunning cymbidium and dendrobium orchids, dazzling lilies and all your traditional favorites.
Looking for something other than a flower arrangement? You have come to the right place. Pugh’s has the best selection of green, tropical and flowering plants in the area. We have everything from emerald garden baskets, to hanging plants to traditional dish gardens. We also sell gourmet gift and fruit baskets. We fill them with lots of gourmet treats, including Godiva chocolates, fresh seasonal fruit and other wonderful edible delights.
Pugh’s Flowers offers same day flower delivery to all Shelby County Hospitals, Funeral Homes and Mortuaries. We also have a floral design center in Southaven, MS. We make daily deliveries in the Southaven Mississippi area as well. We invite you to do your shopping on our website. If you prefer, we also have four floral design centers available for you to come in and see our entire selection of flowers, plants and occasion themed gifts.
MAIN LOCATION2435 Whitten Rd.
Memphis, TN 38133